Winery of the Collégiale Church
The "cuverie" and its magnificent vaulted cellar below (Caves de la Collégiale) were built in the 13th Century. The enormous press was erected at this location in 1570. It is a wheel press, called "perroquet" (parrot). Its trough (the surface on which the juice collects under the basket) measures 16.5 m2 (148 sq ft). The wheel itself has a diameter of 3.3m (10 ft)! It was in use until the French Revolution and was put into service again to press grapes from the Beaune Clos des Mouches vineyard on a few special occasions. Two cuvées of white and red Clos des Mouches were made in 1980 for the Centennial of Maison Joseph Drouhin, in 2000 for the millennium and in 2005 for the 125th anniversary of the House.